Google Offered To Buy WhatsApp For $10 Billion Before Facebook Swooped In With More Money
Mike Nudelman/Business Insider
But they weren't the only tech giant who wanted to buy in.
Dan Primack has a round-up of the numbers that weren't in the press release Facebook (FB) issued announcing it will acquire messaging service WhatsApp, but according to his Fortune colleague Jessi Hempel, he missed one.
$10 billion dollars.
Two separate sources have told me that's how much Google (GOOG) offered to purchase WhatsApp. The bid did not come with promise of a board seat, unlike the Facebook agreement.
Google declined to comment, during a conversation with a Fortune colleague.
- Xiaomi continues to dominate Indian smartphone market despite losing market share
- Aluminum industry wants custom duty on scrap to be increased to 10% to protect domestic companies
- Bajaj Finserv, Tata Comm, Info Edge and some L&T Group companies among worst losers in the market crash
- Micromax IN Note 2 with MediaTek Helio G95 SoC, 48MP quad camera launched in India
- Micromax IN Note 2 vs Realme 9i — New budget phones compared