Google Offered To Buy WhatsApp For $10 Billion Before Facebook Swooped In With More Money
Mike Nudelman/Business Insider
But they weren't the only tech giant who wanted to buy in.
Dan Primack has a round-up of the numbers that weren't in the press release Facebook (FB) issued announcing it will acquire messaging service WhatsApp, but according to his Fortune colleague Jessi Hempel, he missed one.
$10 billion dollars.
Two separate sources have told me that's how much Google (GOOG) offered to purchase WhatsApp. The bid did not come with promise of a board seat, unlike the Facebook agreement.
Google declined to comment, during a conversation with a Fortune colleague.
- By 2030, cleantech market could surpass the value of oil market
- Size doesn’t matter – small cos will hire more than midsized cos this quarter
- Shikhar Dhawan to lead India in West Indies ODI series with Ravindra Jadeja as his deputy
- Zero trust security adoption matures as enterprise perimeters blur
- Cloud adoption is growing and it will drive virtualization too