How Mark Zuckerberg made meetings better at Facebook
Whether you work at a startup or startup-turned-massive-corporation like Facebook, poorly run meetings can crush productivity and yield little to no results.
In a recent Quora post, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg says that CEO Mark Zuckerberg "has done a really good job improving the efficiency of meetings at Facebook this year" with two simple but transformative changes:
1. Send relevant materials in advance to those who will be attending.
If team managers want to discuss data that doesn't need to be confined to a conference room, then it's in their favor to not dedicate a portion of the meeting for employees to catch up at their own pace.
2. Set a goal at the start of the meeting.
Meetings that stretch on for too long typically lack a purpose or agenda. Zuckerberg got managers to announce each meeting's intention from the outset. It starts with the question, "are we in the room to make a decision or to have a discussion?" Sandberg writes.
Sandberg says inspirational posters are hung around the Facebook campus that say things like "Done is Better than Perfect," "Move Fast and Break Things," and "Fortune Favors the Bold." One of her favorites says "Ruthless Prioritization," which is a clue to how she schedules her day and how the company approaches meetings.
Read more of Sandberg's insights at Quora.
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani