How to download iOS 10, Apple's huge new iPhone update
The update, iOS 10, is currently available in your iOS device's settings menu.
Apple announced the update in June, and beta testers have been putting it through its paces since then.
It's a pretty big update: Your homescreen will look different, iMessage and Apple Music have been redesigned, and there's a lot of little tweaks included as well. Also, that trusty "slide to unlock" gesture is gone.
There's a ton to explore in iOS 10, but you'll need to download it first. You'll need 1.1GB of storage space to update.
To update to iOS 10, follow these steps:
- Back up your iPhone. The easiest way to do that is in Settings >iCloud > Backup> Backup Now. You can also plug your iPhone into your computer and boot up iTunes if your iCloud account doesn't have enough storage space.
- Download the update. You can find the update in General > Software Update. Tap on Download and Install, plug in your passcode, agree to the terms and conditions, and your update should start downloading.
- Don't panic. Whenever Apple releases a new software update, its servers can get overloaded by millions of people trying to download it at the same time. And sometimes there are bugs in the new OS that get discovered as soon as people start updating. If you don't need iOS 10 this second, you can ask it to update at night while you're asleep, if your phone is plugged in.
Here's the complete changelog:
- Messages lets you express yourself in new ways and access your favorite apps from within your conversations
- Siri now works with apps from the App Store to send messages, make phone calls and more
- Maps comes with an all-new look and extensions to make reservations and book a ride
- Photos is all new with intelligent search making it easier to find people, places and more, as well as new and beautiful ways to rediscover your memories
- Home is a new app that lets you simply and securely manage your home automation products in one place
- Apple Music has an all-new design, bringing greater clarity and simplicity to every aspect of the experience
- Apple News has an all-new design adding bold typography, vibrant colour and distinct sections that make it easier to find stories on specific topics
- Accessing the information you need is easier and quicker with a redesigned Lock screen and deeper 3D Touch integration
- QuickType keyboard adds new emoji, multilingual typing, and contextual predictions that leverage deep neural network technology
- Suggested events and contact details are added to apps based on information found in Mail
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- The best wildlife photos of the year show a curious grizzly, dueling reindeer, and fish swimming through a cloud of sperm
- Trading app Public lists shiba inu coin on its trading platform as the Robinhood rival broadens crypto offerings
- Best artificial flowers for living room decoration in India
- This Ethereum-based metaverse is letting crypto fans own land on the Red Planet, even though international space laws would disagree
- Unemployment rate in India sees a dip after a month
- L&T aims to become carbon neutral by 2040 and here's how
- Paytm may drop its pre-IPO sale as advisors recommend lower valuation