How to make a GIF from a YouTube video and post it online
- You can easily make a GIF from a YouTube video through GIPHY, a popular GIF-making and -sharing website.
- Once you've made a GIF out of a YouTube video, you can then share that GIF to social media or copy an embed code for it.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
If you've been on social media anytime in the last few years, you've seen GIFs: short video clips that run on repeat, often with a funny or snarky message. GIFs are increasingly popular, turning up in emails and on websites.
It's easy to create your own GIFs with free online tools. GIPHY lets you turn a snippet of a YouTube video into your own meme-worthy GIF.
How to make your own GIF from a YouTube video
1. On GIPHY's homepage, click the "Create" button at the top of the window.
2. Copy the link for your YouTube video into the "Add Any URL" box on GIPHY. You can also use Vimeo videos and other GIPHY links.
3. Choose the moment in your video where you want to start your GIF. Slide the Start Time bar until you get to the spot in the video right before the snippet you want to turn into a GIF.
4. Pick the length of your GIF by moving the Duration bar to the left or right, or hitting the up or down arrow next to "Seconds." Watch your GIF a couple of times to make sure you've captured the slice of video you wanted.
5. Once you've found the perfect starting point and length for your GIF, it's time to decorate it. Click "Continue to Decorate."
6. On this page, you can add text and pictures to your GIF. Click on "Caption" to add text. [Image 5]Click and drag the text to move it where you want it on the screen. [image 6]You can also choose what you want the text to look like, and how you want it to move.
7. You can add stickers when you choose "Stickers." Click and drag stickers to position them on the GIF.
8. Click "Filters" to turn change the look of the GIF.
9. You can also draw on your GIF in the Draw menu.
10. When you're finished decorating, click "Continue to Upload."
11. Your GIF is almost ready. Add one or more tags so others can find and share it. Then click "Upload to GIPHY."
12. GIPHY will create your GIF. This takes a few seconds.
13. Watch your GIF and appreciate your handiwork! Use the menu to the right of your GIF to copy the link, share it on social media, or get its embed code.
14. You don't have to log in to GIPHY to create and share a GIF, but logging in will allow you to get credit for your creations, and easily find them again.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
NOW WATCH: Why bidets haven't caught on in the US
- Neobanking platform Vance raises $5.8 million in seed round led by Hummingbird Ventures
- Natural gas price increase negative for GAIL, IGL, marginal beneficiary is RIL: Jefferies
- Auto sales remain buoyant in September with reports of a good festive season ahead
- IAF scrambles fighter jets after bomb scare on Iranian civilian plane in Indian airspace
- Delhi reports over 400 cases of dengue in a week, taking the tally to 937