Hulu may go commercial-free, but it's going to cost you
NBC via Hulu
According to the report, the new tier could cost between $12 and $14 per month, and could be released as early as this fall.
There are currently two versions of Hulu - one free, and one that costs subscribers $7.99 per month.
The free service allows for viewing of past and current seasons of TV shows, as well as other programming in browsers on PCs.
The paid version, which until recently was called Hulu Plus, has more programming, and allows for viewing on other devices, like game consoles, mobile phones and tablets, and streaming boxes that connect to your TV, like Roku and Apple TV.
But both the free and paid tiers have ads, something that paying subscribers have long complained about, especially as ad-free streaming services from Netflix and Amazon have continued to improve.
Hulu, which is co-owned by Comcast's NBCUniversal, FOX, and Disney, and is only available in the US, said in April that it has nearly nine million paying subscribers. Netflix announced on Wednesday that it has more than 41 million paying subscribers in the US, and 62 million worldwide.
The service, which like Netflix and Amazon is developing its own original programming to attract subscribers, recently licensed all nine seasons of "Seinfeld."
It reportedly came with a huge price tag of nearly $1 million per episode.
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India
- Unveiling the sweet side of corn: 7 mouthwatering recipes