I spent an hour playing the crazy upcoming 'Super Mario' game where you can play unlimited levels and create your own - here's what it's like
- Nintendo's next major "Super Mario" game is headed to the Nintendo Switch in late June.
- The new game, "Super Mario Maker 2," is a long-awaited sequel to a cult classic Mario title from Nintendo's failed Wii U console.
- I got a chance to play "Super Mario Maker 2" at a recent event in New York City, and came away excited to play more.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
What's better than a new "Super Mario" game from Nintendo? An infinite "Super Mario" game that allows you to outright build your own levels!
That's the promise of "Super Mario Maker 2," the more fully-featured sequel to cult classic Wii U game "Super Mario Maker."
The new "Super Mario" game is scheduled to arrive in late June, but Nintendo offered press an early hands-on of the game at a New York City media event last week attended by Business Insider.
Here's what it's like:
In "Super Mario Maker 2," you can play through levels that look and feel like levels from the original "Super Mario Bros."
And levels that look and feel like "Super Mario Bros. 3."....
And ones that look and feel like "Super Mario World"...
And "New Super Mario Bros. U"....
And even "Super Mario 3D World!"
Let's pause for a moment and discuss what "Super Mario Maker 2" is actually about.
But that was also the case with the previous game, "Super Mario Maker" — it was a game about building "Super Mario" levels and sharing them. What that game was missing, however, was the equally complex story mode in "Super Mario Maker 2."
The story premise is intended to offer a structure for learning how to create your own levels — a kind of compilation of ideas for players to experiment with.
It's also just a core section of game that anyone can enjoy.
Some of the best fun to be had in "Super Mario Maker" on Wii U was found in the incredible creations of other players. That is likely to be the case in "Super Mario Maker 2" as well.
One last thing: There's a totally sweet little go-kart, seemingly ripped from a 2D "Mario Kart" game that never came to be.
"Super Mario Maker 2" arrives on June 28 for Nintendo Switch — check it out in action right here:
- Elon Musk's brain-chip startup shares video it says shows a monkey telepathically 'typing'
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Herschel Walker's son says Trump called his father for months demanding that he run, while 'everyone with a brain' begged him not to
- Data of 6 lakh Indians sold on 'bot' markets for nearly Rs 490 each
- Rate hike to affect housing demand in the mid and affordable segments, say experts
- From vaccination certificate to pornstar martini - here are top ‘how to’ Google searches in India
- Alert in south coastal Andhra for cyclone 'Mandous'
- IPL to KGF Chapter 2 to FIFA World Cup, here are the top Google searches in India in 2022