I switch phones at least 6 times a year - here's how I easily transfer everything from one phone to another
- My SIM card finds its way into at least six different smartphones during the course of a year.
- It's unusual for a typical smartphone user, but for a tech journalist who reviews smartphones, it's pretty normal.
- Phone after phone, I've developed some habits that make it easier to switch devices without starting from scratch.
I review a ton of different smartphones, as part of my job.
I mostly switch between Android devices, and Google makes it incredibly easy to transfer everything from one phone to another.
However, if I was only allowed to share one tip, I'd recommend using a password manager. While cloud services and device backups do a great job transferring apps from one phone to another, you still need to sign in to all your apps on a new phone.
Check out the habits I've developed over the years to make transferring from one phone to another a smooth and seamless process:
Get the latest Google stock price here.
Instead of re-downloading all my apps on a new phone, I simply restore a backup from the previous phone.
Restoring all my apps from one phone to another is easy, but I still need to sign back into all my apps on the new phone, which is a real pain. There's one key thing that makes it much easier.
I keep all my photos in Google Photos, which is easily the best option not only for switching devices, but for storing your photos in general.
As for music, I use a streaming service, which is a much easier and better option than keeping music in a phone's storage.
All my contacts are saved in my Google account and transfer over to any phone, even on iPhones.
I don't care so much about transferring my text messages between Android phones, as I've had mixed experiences. It's much more reliable when switching between iPhones.
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry