Jack Ma - the most flamboyant tech founder on the planet, and China's richest man - steps down from his $460bn Alibaba empire after 20 years
REUTERS/Steven Shi/Gongshoudao/Youku/REUTERS/Stringer/REUTERS/Charles Platiau/File Photo/Business Insider
- Jack Ma, China's richest man, is stepping down as the chairman of the $460 billion Alibaba Group he founded 20 years ago.
- The company is now the world's largest e-commerce group. It was founded by Ma and 17 others in a small apartment in 1999.
- Ma is worth almost $40 billion and his known for his love of extravagant celebrations, including mass employee weddings and music performances.
- His farewell party is taking place in a 80,000-seat stadium.
- Ma has picked Alibaba CEO Daniel Zhang to take over from him, who will face challenges from the US-China trade war and a slowing e-commerce industry in China.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
View all Offers
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Gray Sierra, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9A (Nature Green, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage) | 2GHz Octa-core Helio G25 Processor | 5000 mAh Battery₹ 6999₹ 8499Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9 (Carbon Black, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) | 2.3GHz Mediatek Helio G35 Octa core Processor₹ 8999₹ 10999Buy On
It later expanded into online banking, artificial intelligence, and entertainment.The company's 2014 IPO remains the biggest in history at $25 billion. Ma is currently worth $38.6 billion, according to Bloomberg's Billionaires Index. His net worth is the highest of anybody else in China, and 21st in the world.
The company now employs more than 100,000 people, according to Reuters.While he is stepping down from a major leadership role, Ma said he will take a position in Alibaba's "partnership", a 38-person body that has an indirect role in the governance of the group.
Sean Gallup/Getty Images
Daniel Zhang, who has been CEO of Alibaba since 2015, has been handpicked by Ma to take over, though he is unlikely to match Ma's famous flamboyance.outstrips Amazon's Prime Day for sales. The event has featured performers including Mariah Carey and a the Cirque du Soleil.
And Ma also doesn't hold back for "Ali Day," which celebrates employees and their families and even includes Ma officiating at a lavish, mass employee wedding.
Alibaba shared on Monday a video of Ma returning to that apartment, where he recalled telling early employees: "This is the place we're going to work for a year probably. We're going to eat here. We're going to sleep here. We're going to work day and night here."And we will probably achieve something. Or probably, we'll have to go out looking for jobs together."
He said their goal then was to be in the top 10 of the world's most popular websites, and to empower small businesses.Zhang, Ma's successor, will also face challenges as the industry faces the ongoing trade war between the US and China and a slowdown in the Chinese e-commerce industry.Liu Yiming, an analyst at Chinese tech publishing group 36kr, told Reuters: "If Alibaba wants to find new innovations or trends this is going to be more difficult than before."
"For Daniel Zhang, this will be a big challenge."
Get the latest Alibaba stock price here.
Jack Ma Returns to Hupan Garden: Birthplace of Alibaba. Ma's Hangzhou apartment in 1999 is where it all began for Alibaba. On the eve of the company's 20th birthday, we took him back to to reflect on those early days and what it took to build Alibaba into what it is today. pic.twitter.com/3WdzjLvhdb- Alibaba Group (@AlibabaGroup) September 9, 2019
NOW WATCH: Here's how noise-cancelling headphones work
- Punjab to bring Bill to earmark welfare budget for SCs in proportionate to their population
- High Pressure car washer price in India
- Best boAt headphones to buy in India
- Nothing ear (1) review – clean sound, transparent design for the win
- Oppo Reno 6 Pro 5G to A74 5G: Oppo smartphones launched in India in 2021