Qatar Airways plans to start operations in India soon


  • Qatar Airways is expected to apply for operations in India soon.
  • At least 100 airplanes to be launched.
  • First mentions of these plans were heard in 2017.
Qatar Airways is planning to launch an airline specifically for India. Akbar Al Baker, Qatar Airways' CEO said that they will be launching an airline for the country with a fleet of at least a 100 planes while addressing a press meet in Toulouse, France. Albeit, as per reports, he didn't disclose exactly which aircraft will be deployed in India at the end of the day even though rumors of this plan being in the making have been circulating since March 2017.

India relaxing permissions for foreign investors, barring foreign airlines to own 100% stakes in local carriers, and becoming the fastest growing investment opportunity in the world cumulatively contributed towards Qatar Airways exploring such opportunities.The government, in June 2016, started to allow carriers that are owned completely owned by foreigners to enter the market. But while they're here the foreign airline can have up to 49% stake, their foreign investment partner will own the remaining 51%

Al Baker even said that, “It would like to add more flights to India in the future as the country is an economic superpower and an important destination for it.”
Advertisement


Further, Al Baker clarified that the launch of the proposed airline will not be linked to India acceding to Qatar’s long-standing demand for grant of more bilaterals or flying rights a report said.



{{}}