Russia bans Reddit
Unless Russian users take advantage of VPN to bypass the website blocks, they will no longer be able to log in and access Reddit.
Roskomnadzor, the Russian agency in charge of media, pulled the plug on the open forum because it contains advice on how to grow "magic mushrooms", a psychedelic drug.
This decision was made after Russia's Federal Drug Control Service decided that Reddit content was promoting talks of these substances -- in communities that were most likely under subreddits r/trees and r/shrooms.
The culprit turned out to be a thread called "Minimal and Reliable Methods for Growing Psilocybe", reported Latvian-based Meduza, the first outlet to break the news. The muckraking publication was formed by a ring of 20 journalists after a Vladimir Putin ally famously fired a prominent Russian journalist from Kremlin media, and since then they've been training a close eye on the Russian government.
Earlier, the Russian government deployed its media forces to ask Reddit to remove drug-growing posts, but there was no reply, Vocativ reported. The Russian version of Facebook, Vkontakte, even posted a Wanted: Reddit graphic to express discontent with Reddit officials.
Russia has had an upturned nose towards pot legalization for a while now. The Russian Health Ministry predicted that "everyone [will become] a drug addict" when it was legalized in Washington D.C, according to The Washington Times.
China and North Korea are the other countries that have officially banned Reddit.
We've reached out to Reddit for comment and will update this post when we hear back.
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Serum Institute of India, BYJU’S, Ola, OYO among top 10 valuable unlisted companies
- Top 10 companies in India with the highest revenue in 2022, according to Hurun
- Special winter diet at UP zoos: Kheer with jaggery for bears, chimpanzees and ostriches on boiled eggs