Sega is bringing back Sonic exactly as you remember him
And for Nintendo and Sega, it was actually serious business. Nintendo controlled north of 90% of the video game market before Sega - and a speedy blue cartoon hedgehog named Sonic - showed up.
"Sonic the Hedgehog" - the original Sega Genesis game, not the character - is beloved among game fans of a certain age. He was the hard-edged Sega equivalent of Nintendo's goofy, floppy-hatted Super Mario. Moreover, his debut game was really, really good. (It didn't hurt that Sega included the game for free with new Genesis consoles, making it the first-ever successful free-to-play game.)
For years, fans have wanted a return to the original, 16-bit-era version of "Sonic the Hedgehog" that they grew up with. And now, those fans are taking over the creation of exactly such a project.
This is "Sonic Mania":
Sega's supporting the project, which is a re-boot of the original game plus a mess of new levels. You can play as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles - something you could only otherwise do in "Sonic the Hedgehog 3."
The game takes the original game, adds in new levels, at least one new move for Sonic (some type of spin-dash...thing), and enables you to play as the series' most iconic stars.
Frankly speaking, it looks fantastic. Take a look at the game's first trailer below - the game otherwise launches in 2017 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. There's even this crazy-fresh collector's edition that comes with a Sonic the Hedgehog statue with a Sega Genesis base. That may be too much nostalgia, even for us.
Here it is:
And here's the game's first trailer - take a look!
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- Bahamas, Taiwan, Malta & more: Here are 10 countries offering digital nomad visa
- Maruti Suzuki cars will get costlier from January 2023
- Paytm’s optimistic growth projections boost sentiments, shares climb nearly 8%
- India stands like oasis in era of uncertainty amid global inflation, says SBI Research
- Personal loans fintech platform KreditBee raises $80 million in Series-D investment round