Eye-popping stats about Roblox, the wildly popular game platform that spiked 15% in its public-trading debut
- Roblox, a gaming platform with 32.6 million daily users, hit the public market on Wednesday.
- In 2020, the company paid out more than $328.74 million to
- Roblox games are built by independent developers - helping some teens pay for college.
The wildly popular gaming platform Roblox went public on Wednesday through a direct listing on the New York Stock Exchange. Its stock spiked 15% to value the firm at nearly $44 billion.Unlike "Minecraft" or "Fortnite," Roblox isn't exactly a game, but a platform where players can jump from one user-generated experience to the next. Roblox allows kids to play games created by others or to try building games themselves.
Developers get a 70% commission on all the Robux spent in their game. That can help young developers reel in significant amounts of money - in some cases enough to pay for their college educations.The stock began trading under the ticker RBLX on Wednesday. Here are some eye-popping stats about Roblox on the day of its market debut:
- The platform had 32.6 million daily active users as of 2020, an explosive surge from the 12 million it had in 2018.
- There were over 18 million games, called "experiences," on Roblox as of September 30.
- In 2017, Roblox said it would pay out $30 million to developers. That figure jumped to $328.74 million in 2020.
- Over 1,250 developers earned at least $10,000 in Robux from the platform, and over 300 earned $100,000 or more.
- Roblox users spent 22.2 billion hours engaged in gameplay in the first nine months of 2020, more than double the 10 billion hours in the first nine months of 2019.
- Roblox said in July that it counted over half of all Americans under the age of 16 as users.
- Its valuation soared from $4 billion in early 2020 to $30 billion in early 2021 as it raised $520 million in fresh funding ahead of its listing.
- The most popular games can have 500,000 concurrent players during peak times.
- "Adopt Me" became the first game in the platform's history to cross a total of 20 billion visits in November. On Wednesday, it had 391,000 concurrent players.
- "Brookhaven" had 457,000 concurrent players on Wednesday.
- Alex Hicks, a 24-year old Roblox developer, made more than $1 million in a year as the owner of RedManta, a studio that creates games for Roblox.
- The platform has 8 million active developers, Roblox said in its S1 prospectus.
- Infrastructure and trust and safety were Roblox's second-largest cost after developer fees. Last year, these expenses rose by 69%, to $264.2 million.
- The firm reeled in $923.9 million in revenue during 2020 with a $253 million net loss, its S1 said.
- Larsen & Toubro Infotech to buy Pune-based digital engineering firm CueLogic
- Canadian edtech unicorn ApplyBoard to 'step up' growth in India, raises $300 million in external investment
- Best 43-inch smart LED TVs for small and medium sized rooms
- Moderna's protein-based Covid jab and mRNA vaccine safe for use in children, says university study
- Twitter may now directly be held responsible for every single tweet in India