Does Apple Music have podcasts? Not really, and here's why
Apple Musichas a few scattered podcasts, but Apple has podcasts widely available through its free Podcasts app on the App Store. Apple Podcastsallows users to listen and subscribe to podcasts as well as download for later listening.
iTunes helped revolutionize the digital music and streaming experience. But with the macOS Catalina upgrade, Apple ushered in a new era for media platforms. While the iTunes media library once boasted an array of tracks and albums from independent artists to musical titans, it also featured videos, podcasts, and audiobooks.
The update to Catalina, however, introduced four separate apps: Apple Music, Apple TV, Apple Podcasts, and Apple Books. This shift toward standalone apps has left some wondering if there's any overlap in content, including whether there are podcasts on Apple Music.
Here's what you need to know about Apple music and podcasts.
Apple Music doesn't have podcasts, with a few exceptions
While Apple Music contains more than 50 million songs from artists of all genres, fans of podcasts will need to download Apple Podcasts. This app is for fans of the format and boasts millions of episodes of recorded shows for users to listen, subscribe to, and download for free. While you might find random episodes of a few podcasts in Apple Music, this genre isn't a feature of the program and Apple directs listeners to Podcasts for this reason.
What comes with Apple Podcasts
As long as you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, you can download Apple Podcasts from the App Store and begin subscribing to your favorite shows right away (it might also already be downloaded as a default app on your home screen). The subscribe feature allows users to be notified every time a new episode of that podcast is available. You can also access podcasts through Mac computers running iOS Catalina as well as on your Apple TV.
There are a wide variety of podcasts to choose from, from science, history, and news topics to scripted fiction, comedy, meditation, and panel discussion. Some podcasts choose to focus on true crime stories while others focus in on topics such as baking or TV shows like "The Walking Dead."
How to get podcasts on Apple Podcasts
Should you come across a podcast you like, simply tap on it, then tap the "Subscribe" button to receive updates for when new episodes are available. If you have an active internet connection when listening, you can simply tap a given episode to listen right away.
Otherwise, if you plan to listen while on a long-haul flight or when on vacation with no service, you can tap the plus symbol to download the episode for offline listening.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again
- The India Chapter of the International Advertising Association elects Megha Tata as its President for a second term
- The beer ‘cartel’ of Kingfisher, Budweiser and Carlsberg have to cough up ₹870 crore in fines