10 things in tech: Bezos' flight list - New emojis - Netflix video games
Good morning and welcome to
Let's get started.
1. A Dutch teenager will go to space with Jeff Bezos after his dad paid millions for his ticket. 18-year-old Oliver Daemen will replace the anonymous auction winner - and he'll also be the youngest person to travel to space. So, who is Daemen, and how did he snag a seat on the flight?
2. Netflix wants to let you play video games on its platform within a year. The streaming site hired a top executive from Facebook's virtual reality division as it prepares to expand into streaming video games. Here's what we know so far.
3. Consulting firm McKinsey predicts hybrid work will be messier than anyone realizes. As hybrid work expands, many companies - including Big Tech - are being forced to adapt. McKinsey suggests it's going to be a long transition, and wants employers to realize it will take years, not months, to settle. Everything you need to know.
4. Mark Zuckerberg got roasted in one of Facebook's most notoriously strict groups. The group unleashed hell when the Facebook CEO posted in Dogspotting Society without attaching a dog picture, breaking the group's golden rule. Read the comments demanding that Zuck pays the "dog tax."
5. Zoom has acquired a startup that can create real-time translations on video calls. The company announced its acquisition of Karlsruhe Information Technology, a startup that will help implement automatic translations on Zoom calls. More on that here.
6. Oracle insiders say a key cloud VP is out after about a year. The tech giant's all-important cloud division has reorganized a key division. Read all about the changes at Oracle here.
7. SpaceX could be ordered to take down its huge Starship launch tower in Boca Chica. SpaceX is constructing the tower for future launches of its Starship rocket, but it's missing one crucial thing: FAA approval. Why the FAA might force the company to remove the tower.
8. You can now buy Audi's $100,000 electric super sedan. The high-end sports sedan is a sibling to the Porsche Taycan, and takes aim at the Tesla Model S. Check out the E-Tron GT.
9. Garrett Camp's VC fund is breaking all the rules with a new accelerator for fledgling founders. Known as Expa, the fund is what Camp wished he had when he was building Uber - a founder-first firm where VCs are hands on. A look at how it's different from other firms.
10. "Exploding" term sheets force founders to make massive decisions within 24 hours. Term sheets with rapid deadlines force founders to either make a major legal decision in a day, or watch what could be life-changing money slip away. Here's what experts say to do if you get one.
Sign up for more Insider newsletters here.
- Indian equity market enters coveted USD 4-trillion market cap club for first time
- Lesser known facts about Charlie Munger, Warren Buffet’s second and accomplice
- Fedbank Financial Services IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Flair Writing IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Mini Ratna IREDA stock zooms on debut with over 60% listing gains