10 things in tech you need to know today
Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Wednesday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching "Business Insider" in your flash briefing settings.
Event alert: Join us Thursday, December 17 at 3 p.m. ET for a panel discussion on how to get hired in VC. Sign up here.
- The EU is threatening to break up tech firms. The EU unveiled a raft of new policy proposals designed to curb the influence of the likes of Amazon and Facebook.
- Microsoft sinkholed the domain used in the SolarWinds attack. The domain served as the command and control center for a compromise that affected 18,000 customers.
- Twitter incurred a GDPR fine. The Irish Data Protection Commission fined Twitter $546,000 for violating the EU's GDPR privacy law and failing to notify the regulator of a data breach within 72 hours of one occurring.
- Pinterest settled a sexism suit. The firm on Monday paid $22.5 million to end a lawsuit brought by Francoise Brougher, its former chief operating officer, who alleged gender discrimination.
- Google faces a second antitrust suit. The suit from state attorneys general is expected to accuse Google of designing its search engine to favor its own specialized search products over the specialized search tools of competitors, according to Politico.
- iOS will tell you how you're being tracked. New App Store labels tell you how an iPhone app collects "data used to track you," "data linked to you," and "data not linked to you."
- TikTok will label posts about coronavirus vaccines. The company said that starting December 21 it would roll out information banners on any TikTok videos that mention vaccines.
- Here's how Amazon bought self-driving car firm Zoox. Zoox co-founder and CTO Jesse Levinson told Business Insider the companies had talked from time-to-time over the past few years, but started seriously discussing an acquisition this year.
- There's an overabundance of dildos on "Cyberpunk 2077." A bug in the game means the sex toys can be found in nearly every area, which quickly turned into a meme online.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will podcast on Spotify. The royal pair will produce and host podcasts exclusively on Spotify as part of a multi-year partnership.
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- I'm a software engineer who struggled with procrastination until I tried 'monk mode' — here's how it saves me up to 3 hours a day
- Best 16GB RAM laptops in India to buy in 2023
- Walmart lays off hundreds of employees to 'prepare for the future'
- Japan supermarket sales drop for first time in eight months
- Best lightweight gaming laptops to buy in 2023
- Starbucks new CEO Laxman Narasimhan to work as barista in stores every month