Apple to temporarily close all retail stores outside of China until March 27 to stem coronavirus spread, CEO Tim Cook announced
Andrew Michael/Education Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images
- Apple is set to close all retail stores outside China until March 27, to stem coronavirus spread, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced on Saturday.
- The retailer will continue to fulfill purchases made online or through the Apple phone apps.
- As of Saturday morning, the coronavirus has infected more than 145,000 people worldwide, and the death toll has surpassed 5,400.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Apple will be temporarily shuttering all stores outside China until March 27, in response to mounting concern over the novel coronavirus, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced on Saturday.
Cook also said in a tweet that the company will be committing $15 million to recovery efforts and matching employee donations two-to-one as the coronavirus, which causes the disease known as COVID-19, continues to grip the US.
"What we've learned together has helped us all develop the best practices that are assisting enormously in our global response," Cook wrote in a press release. "One of those lessons is that the most effective way to minimize risk of the virus's transmission is to reduce density and maximize social distance."
"As rates of new infections continue to grow in other places, we're taking additional steps to protect our team members and customers."
The retailer will continue to fulfill purchases made online or through the Apple phone apps.
As of Saturday morning, the coronavirus has infected more than 145,000 people worldwide, and the death toll has surpassed 5,400. There are at least 2,330 confirmed coronavirus cases in the US, and 50 people have died of the disease.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- Concerned over growing population, the RSS chief calls for a comprehensive policy to check it (Ld)
- EU votes for law that will force Apple to ditch lightening port for Type-C by 2024
- S.Korea builds underground physics lab to explore universe
- HCLTech to hire 1,000 people in Brazil, open next-gen tech centre
- Kidnapping of Indian-origin family in US: Relatives back home in Punjab village in state of shock