Boston just became the latest city to ban use of facial recognition technology
Bostonjust banned the use of facial recognitiontechnology by city agencies. It is the second-largest city in the world to do so, behind San Francisco.
- The Boston City Council voted unanimously to ban the technology in the city Wednesday. The move also bans city officials from asking a third party to carry out facial recognition.
- The legislation was spurred by multiple studies that have shown facial recognition algorithms are more likely to misidentify people of color than white people, as well as
Boston's city council voted unanimously to ban the use of facial recognition technology by the city Wednesday, WBUR first reported.
The move comes on the heels of pressure from civil liberties advocates and academics who have pointed to faults in facial recognition algorithms. A sweeping federal study last year found that most major facial recognition software is more likely to misidentify people of color than white people.
The Boston ordinance comes the same week that a Black man from Detroit came forward, who says he was arrested and wrongfully accused of theft after a police facial recognition scan matched him to crime scene footage. He was later released from police custody without charges.
Boston is the second-largest city to ban facial recognition, after San Francisco. The ban will prevent any city employee from using facial recognition or from asking a third party to use the technology. Five other municipalities in Massachussetts have also banned the technology.
"In a time where we're seeing so much direct action in the form of marches and protests for rights, any kind of surveillance technology that could be used to essentially chill free speech or ... more or less monitor activism or activists is dangerous," Boston city councilor Ricardo Arollo said Wednesday.
Boston's police department had already disavowed the technology and said it hasn't used it, citing concerns that it's unreliable.
Amid mounting public criticism of facial recognition technology, several major
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry