'Can you watch live programming on HBO Go?': Here's what you need to know
- You can't watch programming live on
HBO Goin the same way as one can with Hulu's or YouTube's live TVpackages.
- Most of the network's live schedule is available on
HBOGo at the release of or within minutes of its broadcast but can take up to 24 hours to appear on hbogo.com or the HBO Go app.
- Talk shows, reality, and live events are not available to HBO Go subscribers within minutes of their premieres but typically arrive within 24 hours of the original airing.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In the age of cord-cutting, it's increasingly rare to have a traditional cable HBO subscription. Even users of HBO Go, which is only offered HBO viewers who subscribe via a TV provider, will often end up watching shows on their iPhone or Android rather than the TV set.
When it comes to HBO Go, the answer depends on the type of content you're trying to view.
Here's how to watch HBO scripted TV, movies, and reality talk shows within a day of them airing.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to watch scripted shows and movies with HBO Go
HBO has no Live TV options for its HBO Go app. However, the cable network does make "Watchmen," "Big Little Lies," "Euphoria," and a host of other scripted miniseries, shows, and movies available to watch in their entirety on HBO Go within minutes of a live broadcast.
So although it's not a live "stream," you can watch at nearly the same time and pace as those watching on a television. If something is not immediately available, HBO works to ensure it's posted to the HBO Go site and app within 24 hours of its original airing.
How to watch reality shows and movies with HBO Go
HBO defines its "reality" programming somewhat differently than other networks. While it can constitute weekly shows focused on the lives of real people, the label often incorporates live sporting events and talk shows on the cable network.
HBO shows that are filmed live, like "Real Time with Bill Maher" or "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver," required some editing and preparation before being uploaded to HBO Go, so extra time is granted for that.
These broadcasts will be delivered anywhere between a few hours to 24 hours later, depending on the show. "Last Week Tonight," which airs at 11 p.m. ET on the East Coast typically becomes available by 2 a.m. "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" can take longer. For a complete listing of expected HBO Go release times, visit hbogo.com.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
- Bullet Train to be operational within three years, Ayodhya airport by December end: Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia
- Fintech repository to be set up by April 2024, says Shaktikanta Das
- From dreams to reality – three stories of sellers from Flipkart that stand testimony to resilience of women entrepreneurs in India
- YouTube's new 'Pause' feature lets you prevent new comments on videos
- UPI transaction limit for education and healthcare hiked to ₹5 lakh per day