'Can you watch live programming on HBO Go?': Here's what you need to know
- You can't watch programming live on
HBO Goin the same way as one can with Hulu's or YouTube's live TVpackages.
- Most of the network's live schedule is available on
HBOGo at the release of or within minutes of its broadcast but can take up to 24 hours to appear on hbogo.com or the HBO Go app.
- Talk shows, reality, and live events are not available to HBO Go subscribers within minutes of their premieres but typically arrive within 24 hours of the original airing.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In the age of cord-cutting, it's increasingly rare to have a traditional cable HBO subscription. Even users of HBO Go, which is only offered HBO viewers who subscribe via a TV provider, will often end up watching shows on their iPhone or Android rather than the TV set.
When it comes to HBO Go, the answer depends on the type of content you're trying to view.
Here's how to watch HBO scripted TV, movies, and reality talk shows within a day of them airing.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Apple)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $859.99 at Walmart)
Apple Macbook Pro (From $1,299.00 at Apple)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (From $469.99 at Walmart)
How to watch scripted shows and movies with HBO Go
HBO has no Live TV options for its HBO Go app. However, the cable network does make "Watchmen," "Big Little Lies," "Euphoria," and a host of other scripted miniseries, shows, and movies available to watch in their entirety on HBO Go within minutes of a live broadcast.
So although it's not a live "stream," you can watch at nearly the same time and pace as those watching on a television. If something is not immediately available, HBO works to ensure it's posted to the HBO Go site and app within 24 hours of its original airing.
How to watch reality shows and movies with HBO Go
HBO defines its "reality" programming somewhat differently than other networks. While it can constitute weekly shows focused on the lives of real people, the label often incorporates live sporting events and talk shows on the cable network.
HBO shows that are filmed live, like "Real Time with Bill Maher" or "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver," required some editing and preparation before being uploaded to HBO Go, so extra time is granted for that.
These broadcasts will be delivered anywhere between a few hours to 24 hours later, depending on the show. "Last Week Tonight," which airs at 11 p.m. ET on the East Coast typically becomes available by 2 a.m. "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" can take longer. For a complete listing of expected HBO Go release times, visit hbogo.com.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to cancel your HBO Now subscription in 6 simple steps
How to watch live TV on Hulu and record shows with a Hulu + Live TV subscription
The 5 best ways you can watch live TV on Roku
How to cancel an HBO NOW subscription through your Roku account in 2 ways
How to watch Netflix on your TV in 5 different ways
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company