Canon’s new patent hints at a telephoto lens attachment for smartphones under development
- A new patent has revealed that
Canonmight be building an attachment for smartphones featuring a telephoto lens.
- The camera attachment is said to feature a telephoto lens.
- The telephoto lens and the phone will be connected by Wi-Fi while the phone will be used as a viewfinder.
As per the patent, Canon is looking to offer telephoto lens attachment that can improve the optical performance of the camera. The 3D render of the patent reveals a Canon PowerShot Zoom-like product along with an attachment that could fit in a
The patent further reveals that the external zoom lens rotates around a hinge that allows it to fold away. It has a bracket to hold a smartphone. A report by TechRadar reveals more about how the telephoto lens might work in tandem with the smartphone. The phone and lens can be connected via Wi-Fi while the phone would work as a viewfinder and a remote control for the camera via the Canon app.
The focal length of the lens is not specified in the patent, but it is speculated that you can set the focal length to 400 using the Zoom switch. The mobile lens accessory features a power switch. As Canon’s new patented camera attachment for smartphones looks similar to the Canon PowerShot Zoom device, it might also be possible to shoot videos with the external lens.
Similar camera attachments for smartphones were seen before as Sony had launched QX10 and QX100 in 2013. If Canon’s patented device is launched, it will be interesting to see how it performs and adds value to modern smartphones which feature premium quality camera sensors.
AdvertisementCanon's compact EOS RP isn't the strongest full-frame camera, but a $300 price drop makes it worth a second look
Here's how to choose between Canon and Nikon if you're ready to ditch your phone and get a real camera
Popular on BI
- OnePlus blames voltage fluctuation after a user reports Nord 2 charger explosion
- Dropbox's billionaire founder Drew Houston says the 40-hour office week is a thing of the past and the pandemic has changed work forever
- Facebook pumping $50 million into its metaverse project is another sign that Zuckerberg doesn’t want to miss the crypto bus
- Buy biodegradable sanitary pads for women in India
- Best baby booster seat in India
- Amazon-backed Capital Float plans to go big in the buy now, pay later segment; raises $50 million
- Where Indians work — seven charts that show you the employment map of the world’s sixth largest economy
- Alibaba, Binance, Sparkpool and other companies are scrambling to avoid any heat from China over crypto concerns