Facebook spent the equivalent of 319 years labeling or removing false and misleading content posted in the US in 2020
- Some content that was missed included gang
violence, human trafficking, and drug cartels, according to the Wall Street Journal.
- Some groups that promote hate or violence use fake Facebook and
Facebook spent the equivalent of 319 years labeling or removing false and misleading content posted in the US in 2020, according to a Wall Street Journal report.
The documents detail how employees and contractors of the company spent more than 3.2 million hours in 2020 searching for, labeling, and taking down information that was false or misleading. 2.8 million of those hours, or approximately 319 years, were spent looking for content posted within the US. Facebookspent three times that amount of time on "brand safety," or "making sure ads don't appear alongside content advertisers may find objectionable," according to the Journal.
The information accessed by the Journal explains details on Facebook's oversights related to issues like
Some of the largest recruitment tactics these violent groups use include fake Facebook and Instagram accounts and Messenger, according to the documents reviewed by the Journal.
A spokesperson from Facebook told the Journal that the company also plans to look into artificial intelligence that will help them in its efforts against the spread of misinformation or violent content.
Facebook removed nearly 6.7 million pieces of organized hate content off of its platforms from October through December of 2020. In March, Facebook announced it would stop recommending Groups that have violated Facebook's standards and limit the distribution of the group's content in users' News Feeds, Insider reported. At the same time, Facebook also started telling its users when a Group they are about to join has violated the company's Community Standards. Facebook's standards prohibit violent, harmful, illegal, and deceptive posts from being shared on the site.
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Star Health IPO opens today — Check out close date, allotment and other important details
- Meet Parag Agrawal, the IIT Bombay grad who is taking over from Jack Dorsey at Twitter
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock doubles after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries
- In India, less than one in every 10,000 jabs have led to serious adverse reactions — not necessarily due to the vaccine