'Frozen 2' is already on pace to smash box-office records
- Fandango announced on Tuesday that "Frozen 2" beat Fandango's record for biggest first-day presales for an animated movie.
- It surpassed "Toy Story 4" and "Incredibles 2."
- "Incredibles 2" holds the record for biggest domestic opening for an animated movie.
- But the first "Frozen" is the highest-grossing animated movie of all time (not counting this year's "Lion King" remake).
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
"Frozen 2" is already on track to be a huge box-office hit.
Ticket service Fandango announced on Tuesday that the Disney sequel beat the Fandango record for biggest first-day presales for an animated movie, surpassing "Toy Story 4" and "Incredibles 2."
The top five biggest animated presellers for Fandango are below:
- "Frozen 2" (2019)
- "Toy Story 4" (2019)
- "Incredibles 2" (2018)
- "Finding Dory" (2016)
- "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" (2018)
The first "Frozen," which was released in 2013, earned $93.5 million domestically over the five-day Thanksgiving weekend, but the follow-up is expected to top that. It ultimately grossed $1.27 billion worldwide and remains the highest-grossing animated movie of all time (not counting this year's "Lion King" remake; there's debate about whether the remake is an animated movie).
"Incredibles 2" holds the record for the biggest domestic opening of all time (before adjusting for inflation) for an animated movie with $180 million. That went on to make $1.24 billion globally.
In its long-range forecast in September, Boxoffice Pro projected "Frozen 2" would earn $125 million in its domestic opening, but those numbers could change as the movie gets closer to release.
"Frozen 2" hits theaters on November 22.
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- New York officials ban airports from charging up to $28 for a beer — a price tag they described as 'totally indefensible'
- How to use the realistic crying face filter on Snapchat
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22