Meta withdraws internship offers after scrapping its full UK program for this year
- Meta has been withdrawing internship offers from London-based recruits.
- The company has scrapped plans to run its full internship program in the UK this year.
Meta has been withdrawing internship offers from London-based recruits as it forges ahead with a "company-wide hiring shift."
The company confirmed to Insider that it did not intend to run its full internship program in the UK this year.
Some Meta hopefuls had accepted internship offers months ago and have had to change their plans. Yure Pablo, who was due to start at Meta in January 2023, took to LinkedIn to announce the news.
"I changed plans and discarded another offer for 2023 due to this offer," Pablo wrote in a post. "It's not only a job, it's a lifetime opportunity that you work hard for."
A Meta spokesperson told Insider: "Meta interns are crucial in shaping our future. This difficult decision was not made lightly. This company-wide hiring shift is to ensure that our hiring targets are aligned with our highest-priority efforts and business needs."
Meta has been battling a challenging macroeconomic environment that has led to a wave of layoffs and hiring freezes at other tech companies.
Meta CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, told investors in July that the company planned to reduce headcount growth and shrink teams. Last month, Zuckerberg reportedly told staff the company was freezing hiring and warned of restructuring and downsizing.
Insider's Kali Hays reported that Meta was also conducting "quiet layoffs" by urging managers to label employees as underperforming. Several employees told Insider that they expect the layoffs could affect as much as 15% of the company's workforce.
- I asked Microsoft's 'new Bing' to write me a cover letter for a job. It refused, saying this would be 'unethical' and 'unfair to other applicants.'
- Microsoft's ChatGPT-powered Bing browser now available publicly
- Don't be in a hurry to prepay but plan EMIs better, say experts as home loan burden set to rise
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000