Read the pitch deck that Uber founder Garrett Camp created for the ride-hailing giant back in 2008 – before the company became the $120 billion giant it is today
It's a big year for
The first name in ride-hailing had a ton of hype around it for the first half of 2019 thanks to its IPO. And though the $8 billion valuation fell well short of speculations of $100 billion, Uber is still one of the biggest names on the market today.
With such eye-popping numbers, it's difficult to remember a time when the 10-year-old company wasn't the juggernaut it is today. Uber currently has more than 2 million drivers ferrying passengers in more than 63 countries.
But back in August 2008, founder Garrett Camp was laying out his dream of a "next-generation car service" in a slideshow on his computer. Little did he know that dream would grow exponentially into a company that now handles grocery delivery, that has a rapidly growing on-demand food delivery segment in Uber Eats, and is developing a fleet of self-driving taxis.
As part of our coverage of the genesis of today's successful companies, BI Prime took a look at how Camp envisioned Uber (then UberCab) 10 years ago in his original pitch deck:
- The core concept was largely the same: a fast and efficient on-demand car service that he described as the "NetJets of car services"
- Uber originally wanted to screen its customers by only picking up members and banning hailing from the street
- All of Uber's projected use cases, from airport pickup/dropoff to travel to and from restaurants, still hold up today
View all Offers
- 40% OFF
Da URBAN® Miller Medium Back Office/Revolving Chair (Black)₹ 4999₹ 8999Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Medusa Engineered Wood Wardrobe With Drawer And Mirror wenge finish , 2 Doors₹ 8749₹ 15000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Polaris Engineered Wood Oak Finish Queen Bed with Box Storage (Imperial Teak)₹ 12449₹ 21999Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Elite High Back Mesh Office Chair (Fabric, Black)₹ 8299₹ 15000Buy On
- 43% OFF
Wipro That's It Mid Back Mesh Ergonomic Home-Office Chair with Synchro tilt Mechanism, Adjustable armrest,Cushion Lumbar, Wide seat and backrest, 3 yr wrnty, BIFMA Compliant Components (Black)₹ 8049₹ 14140Buy On
Some of what Camp laid out in the pitch deck no longer holds up, such as a few of Uber's projected eco-friendly benefits and the makeup of Uber's fleet of cars.
The rest of the deck outlines some key points such as:
- Plans for surge pricing
- The company's project valuation
- Potential outcomes for the company, including a best-case scenario
- Future optimizations
- Marketing ideas
- And more
BI Prime is publishing dozens of stories like this each and every day, chock full of exclusive content and industry analysis. Want to get started by reading the full pitch deck?
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale — Best deals and offers on Apple iPhones, iPads, and more
- ‘Extreme fear’ is ruling the crypto markets — is this an opportunity or a warning sign for investors?
- El Salvador's president hits back on Twitter after rating agency Moody's issues warning over its bitcoin buying
- Best deals on hair straighteners, trimmers and other grooming products on Amazon
- Amazon Republic Day Sale 2022 — Best deals and offers on Echo smart speakers, Fire TV Sticks and more
- Two IndiGo planes avert mid-air collision over Bengaluru airport, DGCA to take strict action
- India's tennis star Sania Mirza announces retirement from the sport by the end of 2022 season
- EaseMyTrip launches a new campaign featuring Vijay Raaz and Varun Sharma to promote its full-refund medical policy