Retailers like Nordstrom and Amazon are selling items like a $60 AirPod 'carrying strap' to capitalize on people's anxiety around losing a wireless earbud
View all Offers
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Gray Sierra, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 29999Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9 (Carbon Black, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) | 2.3GHz Mediatek Helio G35 Octa core Processor₹ 8999₹ 10999Buy On
- 70% OFF
boAt Rockerz 255 in-Ear Earphones with 8 Hours Battery, IPX5, Bluetooth V5.0 and Voice Assistant(Active Black)₹ 899₹ 2990Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 29999Buy On
- Retailers like Nordstrom and Amazon have started selling "carrying straps" for AirPods, likely looking to capitalize on the mounting anxiety among some Apple consumers that they will lose one of the precarious earbuds.
- The straps began attracting attention thanks to a viral meme that began circulating on Monday mocking Nordstrom's $60 "AirPod Carrying Straps," originally featured in a Cosmopolitan gift guide in November.
- Sign up for Business Insider's retail newsletter, The Drive-Thru.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
"I actually felt free," one AirPod user told The Wall Street Journal after one of his AirPods fell onto the runway while boarding a flight. "I'm back to holding the phone to my ear, which seems primitive. But, hey, it works."In response, some retailers are looking to capitalize on the fear of losing a singular AirPod, which as a set retails for either $159 for the regular model or $250 for the recently released AirPod Pro. On Monday afternoon, a viral post mocking a carrying strap on the Nordstrom website began making the rounds on popular Instagram meme accounts like @FuckJerry.
"Ladies and gentleman, we have officially come full circle," @FuckJerry wrote on a post that currently has more than 200,000 likes.Others took to Twitter to scoff at the strap. A Business Insider colleague wrote on Slack that the strap looks like "Croakies, but for AirPods." The image in the meme originates from a Cosmopolitan holiday gift guide for men published in November, which recommends the strap to ensure "he'll never lose a single AirPod again." Nordstrom was not immediately available to respond to Business Insider's request to comment.
In addition to Nordstrom, Amazon also sells a variety of "AirPod accessories" designed to prevent the loss of a single AirPod, as do several other specialty retailers like Dhouea and Ace Select, which were featured in an April post on iGeekBlog.
This year's hot gift. A $60 strap to go with your $150 wireless AirPods. pic.twitter.com/Vv6ud4Proc- Hipster (@Hipster_Trader) December 2, 2019
AirPods: $250- Ellie Frost (@_BlockBytch) December 2, 2019
AirPods "Carrying Strap": $60
Feeling vastly superior to those Losers still wearing wires?...Priceless pic.twitter.com/CCUz2hEvwM
- Let budget bring resurgence, TN CM Stalin advises officials
- Tokyo Olympics: PV Sindhu bags bronze medal in women's singles badminton for India
- GST revenue collection for July rises by 33% with ₹1,16,393 crore
- Policy ignition: India's satellite navigation sector set for higher growth trajectory
- COVID-19 cases in Kerala are spiking due to good detection, better reporting and early easing of restrictions