Trump says he personally urged Elon Musk to build Tesla's new $1 billion factory in Texas
- Tesla's second major US car plant will be in Austin,
Texas, the company announced this week.
- President Trump took credit for the move in an interview with Fox News on Thursday night. "I said, 'Elon build a factory in Texas.' He just announced today they're building one of the biggest plants in the world."
- Plans for Tesla's second major car production facility in the US have been in the works for some time, and ultimately
Teslachose Texas over Oklahoma.
On an investor call Wednesday, Tesla CEO
View all Offers
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9 (Carbon Black, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) | Extra INR 200 Amazon Pay Cashback | 2.3GHz Mediatek Helio G35 Octa core Processor₹ 8999₹ 10999Buy On
- 60% OFF
boAt Bassheads 100 in Ear Wired Earphones with Mic(Black)₹ 399₹ 999Buy On
- 13% OFF
OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z Bass Edition (Bold Black)₹ 1899₹ 2190Buy On
- 67% OFF
boAt Rockerz 255 Pro+ in-Ear Earphones with 40 Hours Battery, ASAP Charge, IPX7, Bluetooth Version 5.0, 10mm Drivers and Voice Assistant(Active Black)₹ 1299₹ 3990Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
"We're gonna make things here. We're gonna make them here," Trump said. "Right now, China and many other countries are doing what we're supposed to be doing. They became globalists. These great geniuses became globalists, and they really hurt our country. We're gonna start making it here."And Trump cited Tesla's newly-announced Texas plant as an example of a success in that regard.
"He [Elon Musk] called me up just a little while ago to say, 'I got it done.'" Trump said. "So, meaning he got it done, but I was pushing that job very hard for Elon because we work with him and we do a lot for him. And I said, 'It's time,' and he was great, he's doing a good job."Trump doubled down on statements from the interview using Twitter on Friday morning. "Great job by @elonmusk in agreeing to build, in TEXAS, what is expected to be the largest auto plant anywhere in the world," Trump said. "He kept his word to me. Texas & @Tesla are big winners. MADE IN THE USA!" Other than Texas, Tesla considered Oklahoma as the location for its new $1 billion factory. Ultimately, Texas won out with an offer that included over $65 million in tax rebates over 10 years. The new factory, Tesla says, will hire 5,000 new employees.
Got a tip? Contact Business Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- Tatva Chintan Pharma Chem IPO: How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on laptops
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on Echo, Kindle, Fire TV
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on luggage bags
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on bags for women