Uber is raising rates for rides and Uber Eats orders with a new fuel surcharge designed to help drivers offset skyrocketing gas prices
Ubertrips and Uber Eatsdeliveries will soon cost more as gas pricesskyrocket.
- Starting March 16, users can expect to see a fuel surcharge of up to $0.55 per Uber trip and $0.45 per Uber Eats order.
Your next Uber trip or Uber Eats order may soon cost a bit more than usual.
The rideshare company announced Thursday that it's rolling out a temporary fuel surcharge as Uber drivers and Uber Eats delivery workers feel the effects of rising gas prices.
"Many people are feeling the sting of record-high prices at the pump — and that's certainly true of drivers and couriers," the company said in a release. "While earnings on our platform remain elevated compared to historical trends, the recent spike in
The extra fee goes into effect on March 16. Based on location, the surcharge for an Uber trip is either 45 cents or 55 cents; for an Uber Eats order, it's either 35 cents or 45 cents.
The adjustment comes as gas prices have skyrocketed in recent days thanks to oil market disruptions in response to
As of Saturday, the average price per gallon of gas in the US is $4.326, according to AAA.
Uber didn't specify exactly which locations are subject to higher or lower surcharges, but said the fees are based on the average trip distance and increase in gas prices in each state. According to the company, 100% of the surcharge will go directly to workers.
The surcharges are expected to last through at least the next 60 days, at which point Uber will reassess whether to keep them in place or not.
One city is excluded from the surcharges, though. The company said Uber trips and Uber Eats orders originating in New York City will not be subject to the added fee. Uber noted that drivers in New York City saw a 5.3% increase to the city's mandated minimum earnings standard at the start of this month, and most delivery workers in the city use bicycles.
- Maha crisis: Sena calls floor test illegal and malafide
- GST on casinos, lotteries, horse races deferred as Nirmala Sitharaman
- Shiprocket is India’s most valuable gazelle, and all set to turn unicorn in 2 years, says report
- Zepto, Dunzo among the next 122 unicorns from India — here's the complete Hurun list
- BYJU's cuts 600 jobs across Toppr, WhiteHat Jr