The High Performance Of Online Video Advertising Is Helping It Grow Much Faster Than Other Ad Mediums
Online video ads are getting three times more clicks on average than other digital ad formats, including mobile, display, and rich media ads. (See chart, above.)That performance is attracting advertisers to digital video, and helps to explain why it is growing faster than most other ad formats.
- Video ad revenue will increase at a three-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.5% through 2016, according to our estimates.
- That's faster than any other medium other than mobile. And much faster than traditional online display advertising, which will only grow at a 3% annual rate.
- Online video ad revenue will reach nearly $5 billion in 2016, up from $2.8 billion in 2013, while TV ad revenue will decline by nearly 3% per year during the same time period.
- Video ad views exploded in 2013, topping over 35 billion views in December, averaging over 100% year-over-year monthly growth during the year.
- Online video ads are significantly more expensive than other formats, but prices are steadily declining as more publishers rush into video, and placements open up.
- Video ads have an average click-through rate (CTR) of 1.84%, the highest click-through rate of all digital ad formats.
- Viewability, the question of whether video ads are actually seen by multitasking online viewers, has emerged as an issue, but we believe that overall demand for online video is too high for viewability to put too much of a crimp in the video ad market.
- Streaming devices and connected TV accounted for just 2% of online video ad views in the fourth quarter of 2013, but companies like BrightLine are experimenting with formats to grow this new niche market.
- The growth of mobile and digital video advertising has been paralleled by fundamental changes in the online advertising industry - programmatic advertising, which we covered in a recent report, has begun to reshape the entire digital ad market, including video.
- Newly launched video ad platforms have been among the companies to adopt programmatic tools, including real-time bidding, ad exchanges, and advanced analytics.
The report is full of charts and data that can be easily downloaded and put to use. In full, the report:
- Explores the key drivers of the growth of online video ads, and compares it to the growth in online ads generally
- Examines how video ads stack up against other digital advertising formats in terms of both cost and performance.
- Looks at the issue of viewability, and explains how the problem could impact future spending on video ads.
- Outlines the major players in the video ad space.
- Explains how startups like BrightLine and Alphonso are using innovative approaches to bridge the gap between digital and TV ad spend.
- Here is why a ban on cryptocurrencies may not be even possible
- Chiacoin claims to be an eco-friendly cryptocurrency — here's how it works
- SII's Adar Poonawalla says it will take 2-3 years for the entire world population to get fully vaccinated
- India surpasses Brazil with more than 200 journalists succumbing to COVID-19 pandemic
- If you have taken Covishield shots, watch out for these blood clot symptoms listed out by India’s Health Ministry