The most exciting thing about the new iPhone is that it might come in black
The iPhone 7, if that what it is called, will be a superior device to the iPhone 6S. It should have a better camera, a faster chip, and it will come pre-installed with Apple's latest and greatest software.
But I don't care about any of that. In fact, there's only one thing that would prompt me to take out my wallet and replace my now-aging iPhone 6.
A new color. Specifically, black.
There's some reason to believe that Apple is preparing a new black iPhone. Wall Street analysts and Apple rumormongers have been discussing the possibility for a while - Apple will reportedly announce a new shiny "Piano Black" color along with a matte black option.
Apple likes to introduce new colors too, especially so people who buy the newest iPhone can pick a model that looks different from the older models at a distance.
The Apple Watch has black colored options. And Apple used to make iPhones in black, as recently as 2012 with the iPhone 5. I had that phone, and loved the color, and loved how it looked better over time. But because of issues with the anodization process, Apple has sold its iPhones in "Space Grey" since then.
Space grey, however, is not black.
We have a pretty good idea of what the iPhone 7 will include, via Bloomberg's Mark Gurman:
- The design will look similar to the iPhone 6 and 6S, with the same two screen sizes.
- But it will lack a headphone jack in favor of a speaker. Apple will likely release new compatible wireless headphones.
- The home button will also be redesigned to last longer.
- The smaller model will have an improved camera, but the bigger "Plus" model will have a new dual-lens camera that enables zooming.
The iPhone 7 has been called boring, but that sounds like a significant update to me. I'll probably buy the iPhone 7 - as long as it comes in black.
- A massive study from Israel suggests older adults were far less likely to develop severe COVID-19 after a booster shot, but the finding carries major limitations
- Everything you need to know about iOS 15: Release date, new features, supported devices
- Watch SpaceX launch 4 space tourists into Earth's orbit
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee
- Byju’s acquires yet another coding-for-kids startup, this time an American one