Owning IKEA furniture is practically a rite of passage for millennials leaving their college dorms behind and couples sharing the first apartment.
The company releases some 2,500 new products annually, but since the Swedish ready-to-assemble furniture company was founded in 1943, some favorite products have emerged and stood the test of time. The Poäng armchair just celebrated its 40th birthday, while a Billy bookcase is sold every 10 seconds somewhere in the world.
We asked IKEA to point us towards the company's most popular products of all time. These are not necessarily the best-selling overall - it's hard to calculate that since not all products are sold internationally and some have a limited release - but rather the top-selling products in an array of individual categories, like armchairs or bed frames.
Take a look.
12. Ribba frames make your photos and art pop.
11. The Färgrik mug is the quintessential coffee cup.
10. The Klippan loveseat fits small budgets and smaller apartments.
9. The Docksta table completes a minimalist kitchen.
8. The Ektorp sofa is built to last.
7. The Lack table series hardly lacks style.
6. The Stockholm rugs add a burst of color to any room.
5. The Rens sheepskin rug brings warmth into your home.
4. The Kallax shelving series became an instant classic.
3. The Malm bed frame series streamlines the bedroom.
2. The Poäng chair sells 1.5 million units a year.
1. The Billy bookcase is the most ubiquitous piece of IKEA furniture.