California State Senator Arrested For Drunk Driving Hours After Voting To Toughen Regulations On Uber
Earlier on Friday Hueso, a Democrat who represents the San Diego area, had voted in favor of legislation that would create a number of regulations and limit services like Uber and Lyft from operating in California.
Democratic Assemblyman Adrin Nazarian's Assembly Bill 612 was voted upon on Thursday night. Nazarian's bill would crack down on the drivers Uber and Lyft let behind the wheel. AB612 would require intense background checks for drivers, drug testing of drivers, and a ban on drivers who have committed crimes in the past. On Aug. 21, Hueso voted in favor of AB612, which passed 21 to 11. Uber has been campaigning against bills similar to Nazarian's, urging its users to tell their elected representatives to vote against it.
The Sacramento Bee reports police saw Hueso driving the wrong way down the street in the wee hours of the morning.
Hueso later released a statement apologizing for the incident:
I am truly and profoundly sorry for the unacceptably poor personal judgment which I demonstrated last night. As someone who cares deeply about the public safety, I sincerely apologize to my family, my constituents and my colleagues in the Senate for breaching the trust they've all placed in me. I accept complete personal responsibility for my actions and any punishments that ultimately come my way as a result of this incident. I will also engage in immediate, corrective actions to ensure this kind of personal conduct is never repeated.
Hueso took a field sobriety test and was later jailed with a blood-alcohol content of 0.08 or higher, though the California Highway Patrol wouldn't release the exact number. Hueso was released around noon on Friday. Hueso's brothers Alfredo Hueso and Jose Antonio Hueso own a San Diego-based taxi company.
Last month, the Washington Post analyzed data from cities like San Francisco and Philadelphia that seem to indicate that the number of DUI arrests decreased after ride-sharing services started operating there.
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- With the metaverse, NFTs and DeFi on the rise, Ethereum miners rake in $2 billion in revenue — a jump of 11% over October
- Gen Bipin Rawat, his wife, and 11 others killed in chopper crash near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu
- RBI keeps lending rates intact, remains accommodative
- India remains to be ranked as the fourth most powerful country as per Asia Power Index 2021
- Although Shriram Properties has solid future prospects, Omicron may mess things in the near term