Here's another hint that Apple is building its own video service
"Over the last two years, our two largest customers in particular, comprise about 13% of Akamai's overall revenue. As we look ahead to 2016, we expect these two accounts to still be our largest media customers, and they will contribute about 6% of our overall revenue," Akamai CEO Tom Leighton said during its earnings call. The company beat analyst expectations and announced a major restructuring and a $1 billion stock buyback, and its stock surged more than 16% after hours.Akamai's two largest customers are widely believed to be Apple and Microsoft.
"This seven point change in contribution results from their increased do-it-yourself, or DIY efforts," Leighton said.It's another sign that Apple's online services strategy has been changing, with the company pushing to bring more and more of its online infrastructure in-house. Apple is expected to open at least three new data centers over the next two years and has increased related spending. If Apple were to launch a streaming video service, as has been rumored, the CDN that delivers it would be a major factor in terms of the streaming quality and lag that end-users would experience.
Streaming services analyst Dan Rayburn previously reported that sources expected Apple to "have a more active role" in content delivery after opening its data center in Maiden, North Carolina.Rayburn has previously tracked OS X downloads coming directly from Apple, as opposed to through Akamai.
Most recently, Apple CEO Tim Cook put a renewed emphasis on online services during the company's last earnings call.
- Larsen & Toubro Infotech to buy Pune-based digital engineering firm CueLogic
- Canadian edtech unicorn ApplyBoard to 'step up' growth in India, raises $300 million in external investment
- Best 43-inch smart LED TVs for small and medium sized rooms
- Moderna's protein-based Covid jab and mRNA vaccine safe for use in children, says university study
- Twitter may now directly be held responsible for every single tweet in India