Here's what we know about Bobby Murphy, Snapchat's mysterious billionaire cofounder
CEO Evan Spiegel is the public face of Snapchat parent company Snap Inc., but Bobby Murphy also wields considerable power as its cofounder and chief technology officer.
Together, Murphy and Spiegel own the vast majority of Snap's voting stock, giving them complete control over the company's future. Now that Snap has gone public, Murphy has an estimated net worth of around $5.4 billion.
Unlike Spiegel, Murphy has maintained a decidedly low profile since the beginning of the company. He's only given a handful of interviews, and little is known about his personal life.
People who've worked with Murphy describe the 28-year-old as smart, friendly, and quiet.
"I'd describe him almost like a monk," Snapchat's first hire, David Kravitz, told Forbes in 2014. "I don't think I've ever seen him upset."
We've pulled the highlights of Murphy's life and career from interviews he's given over the years and Business Insider's own reporting:
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani