'I don't trust some computer to drive me around': Trump says he'd never get in a 'crazy' driverless car
- Four sources told Axios that Donald Trump has a deep mistrust of driverless cars.
- Trump sometimes enacts scenes in which the cars career out of control.
- One source said Trump could be spurred into action to make the regulatory landscape much tougher for autonomous vehicles.
Donald Trump is not a fan of driverless cars, according to a new report from Axios.
Four sources told Axios that they've heard Trump voice doubts about autonomous vehicles in conversation, apparently sometimes acting out scenes where the vehicles veer out of control.
"You know when he's telling a story, and he does the hand motions," one source who'd seen Trump enact such a scene told Axios. "He says, 'Can you imagine, you're sitting in the back seat and all of a sudden this car is zig-zagging around the corner and you can't stop the f---ing thing?'"
Another source described the President as an "automated car skeptic," while Axios said he has also described the technology as "crazy."
A third source had heard Trump discussing the topic at his golf club in 2017. Another club member said he was excited because he'd bought a new Tesla and Trump replied: "Yeah that's cool but I would never get in a self-driving car... I don't trust some computer to drive me around."
The president reportedly also told Elon Musk during a 2017 White House meeting with CEOs that he prefers traditional cars over Tesla's autopilot feature.
Recently at SXSW, Trump's transportation secretary, Elaine Chao, announced the launch of a new council to support "emerging transportation technology," including autonomous vehicles.
However, a source told Axios that Trump could be persuaded into making the regulatory landscape for autonomous vehicles more hostile, as he already calls them "out-of-control death traps."
Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- 10 famous book markets in Mumbai every reader should explore
- Asian Games: Indian men's hockey team storms into final, defeats South Korea 5-3
- Govt hikes LPG subsidy for Ujjwala beneficiaries to Rs 300 per cylinder
- Checkout the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 matches that will be played in Chennai
- Rockstud Capital announces partial exit from Uber’s fleet service provider