Google One lets you upgrade Google Drive and get rewards - here's how to sign up
Google Oneis a subscription service that gives you more Google Drivestorage, Google Storerewards, and more.
- Depending on your Google One plan, you can also get discounts on hotels and a VPN for your Android device.
Introduced in May 2018, Google One is the type of product that may have escaped your attention - that is, unless you're on the cusp of going over your Google Drive storage limit.
If you're a Google Drive power user - or just an avid Google user in general - Google One may be the perfect service for you. Here's everything to know about Google One.
What is Google One?
Google One is a paid subscription service that can be tacked onto a Google account. It allows users to expand their Google storage beyond the default 15 GB, which includes Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos.
That's Google One's major selling point. But it also comes with a host of other features, which get more extravagant the higher you climb up the subscription tiers.
Members who pay $2.99 per month, for example, have access to Google experts who can help with any Google-related questions, like how their products work. At the $9.99 per month tier, you get a VPN to use on your Android devices.
Signing up for any Google One plan also gives you the option to add up to five family members to your expanded storage plan (without any additional cost, and without sacrificing privacy), which is ideal for those looking to split costs while taking advantage of their plan's perks.
Other Google One benefits include Google Play credits, member rewards from the Google Store, and preferred pricing on hotels found through Google Search. Where available, subscribers can get up to 40% off select hotels - provided they book while signed in to their Google account.
And those with certain qualifying Metro by T-Mobile plans are eligible for automatic backups for photos and videos taken on an Android device.
How much Google One costs
There are several pricing tiers, depending on your storage needs. Subscriptions can be paid monthly, or annually - an annual plan provides a small discount compared to the monthly billing option.
Here's how those costs shake out:
- 100 GB plan: $1.99 per month or $19.99 per year
- 200 GB plan: $2.99 per month or $29.99 per year
- 2 TB plan: $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year
Those who opt to take advantage of the family plan can set up a family payment. A family payment means a single person is responsible for any payments made through the group account, though they can set up purchase approvals and get notifications when purchases are made.
How to sign up for Google One
To join an existing family group, the "family manager" will need to send you an invitation, either via text or email. You'll also need to have a Google account, live in the same country as the family manager, and not have switched families (or be a member of another Google family group) within the last 12 months.19 of the best Google Drive tips and tricks for getting the most out of the service The 15 best Google Drive add-ons for customizing and streamlining your work on any Google application How to integrate Google Drive with Microsoft Office so you can easily share files and collaborate across platforms Is Google Drive secure? How Google uses encryption to protect your files and documents, and the risks that remain
- No crypto ban in India — SEBI will reportedly be pulled in to regulate the sector
- I tried a calendar that's meant to boost productivity by mapping out the number of weeks you have left to live — here's how it went
- I wore the same outfit for a week, as part of a productivity hack promoted by Steve Jobs — but it didn't really work. After speaking to psychologists, I'm not surprised.
- Dell Latitude 7320 Review — A good-looking compact convertible let down by the keyboard
- SaaS firm RateGain’s IPO opens tomorrow — should you invest?
- Global digital advertising accounted for 64.4% of all advertising in 2021, up from 60.5% in 2020: GroupM report
- After Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Maruti Suzuki, now Tata Motors increases price of its vehicles from January
- 44 key areas, a national framework, and a multi-institutional approach — Here's what you need to know about India's new National Blockchain Strategy