'How many people can watch HBO Go at once?': Here's the number of devices you can connect to one account, and how it compares to HBO's competition
HBO Goallows two devices to stream shows and movies at once.
- You can have up to three registered devices attached to a single HBO Go account.
- You can check how many devices are currently attached to your account through the Settings menu.
- Compared to rival streaming services, HBO Go is on par with Standard or Basic tier Netflix and Hulu subscriptions.
Because you're paying for HBO Go through your service provider, simultaneous streaming is limited to a minimum. This is likely to restrict playback to your traditional or smart TV and one mobile device, such as your iPhone or Samsung Galaxy tablet. As a result, HBO Go users have a lower cap on simultaneous viewing through the app than those subscribing to competitors like Amazon Prime and Disney Plus, or even its sister service HBO Now.
To keep track of your devices and avoid having your streaming interrupted or prevented, you can check the Manage Devices tab on the HBO Go mobile app. In this menu, you can also force a log out if you need to override a current playback to stream on your desired device.
Here's everything else you need to know about streaming from multiple devices on the provider-packaged HBO Go app.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
HBO Go allows you to stream two devices at once
With HBO Go, you can register up to three devices and attach them to a single account. However, the cable network only allows Go users to stream two out of three total devices simultaneously. If you try to play all three, you'll receive a pop-up message warning you that you've reached your maximum. To play your movie or TV show on your desired device, you'll have to stop one of the other playbacks first.
HBO Now, meanwhile, usually allows for all three registered devices to stream at once. This version of the app features the same content, but you pay a separate monthly rate as you do for Netflix, Hulu, and similar platforms.
How HBO Go compares to other rival streaming services
Other subscription streaming services allow for more devices to stream at a time. In the game of streaming apps, Disney Plus takes the lead, allowing subscribers to have up to four devices playing at once. Prime Video is next, granting you the ability to stream from up to three devices at the same time.
If you feel like you're getting the short end of the streaming stick, don't worry too much. HBO Go is on par with standard Netflix and Hulu capabilities, both of which only offer more device access with higher subscription tiers.
How to check your devices in your HBO Go app settings
1. Open the HBO Go app.
2. Tap your profile tab at the bottom.
3. Select the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner.
4. Tap Manage Devices.
5. Browse to see what other devices are in use. If one has been used recently, it may be the cause of the streaming conflict.
6. Tap the Sign All Devices Out button if needed.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- People want bigger homes and reopening offices, schools hasn’t altered this trend
- Prime Minister Modi says extension of free ration scheme will benefit crores during the festive season
- Central government employees given 4% hike in DA ahead of Diwali
- Jewellery chains are growing at the cost of standalone jewellers – and it’s only going to get worse, says World Gold Council report
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride