Disney+ Hotstar plans starting at ₹49 spotted following Netflix price cuts
- Disney+ Hotstar has been spotted testing two new ultra-affordable plans.
- These plans provide access to all the content available on Disney+ Hotstar.
- The new plans are likely in response to the recent Netflix price cuts in India.
AdvertisementPopular streaming service Disney+ Hotstar is testing ultra-affordable plans starting at ₹49 per month, following a major price cut by rival Netflix.
According to a spotting by Reddit user /u/One-Cost-4363, the new Disney+ Hotstar plan at ₹49 is thanks to an introductory offer. This is after a discount of ₹50, which suggests that once the offer period ends, the price could be adjusted to ₹99 per month.
The ₹49 plan gives access to the entire library of content on Disney+ Hotstar, including movies, TV, live sports and Hotstar-exclusive content. Only one device login is supported, though, and the resolution is limited to HD (720p). The plan is ad-supported, so you will see commercials while streaming content.
Apart from this, Disney+ Hotstar is also reportedly testing another plan priced at ₹199, which gives you a six-month subscription to the service. The streaming quality and access are similar to the ₹49 plan.
Existing Disney+ Hotstar plans
|Plan||Price||Benefits||No. of devices||Validity|
|Mobile||₹499||Up to HD quality, ad-supported||1||1 year|
|Super||₹899||Up to Full HD quality, ad-supported||2||1 year|
|Premium (monthly)||₹299||Up to 4K quality, ad-free||4||1 month|
|Premium (annual)||₹1,499||Up to 4K quality, ad-free||4||1 year|
Note that all of these plans give you access to all the content that is available on Disney+ Hotstar.
Facing off with Netflix
Netflix recently announced a major price cut in its India plans, offering subscriptions starting at ₹149 per month, down from ₹199. The price cut comes amidst growing competition from Disney+ Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, SonyLIV, Zee5 and others.
Here’s a quick glance at the old and new Netflix plans in India:
|Plan||Old price||New price||Devices||Resolution|
|Netflix Mobile||₹199||149||1 (mobile)||480p|
|Netflix Premium||₹799||649||4||4K HDR|
AdvertisementNote that all these prices are for the monthly plans.
Netflix vs Disney+ Hotstar: Subscription plans compared
Netflix has reduced subscription rates for all plans in India, now starting at ₹149
Here’s why Axis Bank may be willing to pay $2 billion to buy Citi’s India ops
Popular on BI
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day