Google cracks down on annoying ads in games, to enforce stricter guidelines from September 30
Effective from September 30, developers cannot show full-screen ads of all formats (video,
"Ads that appear during game play at the beginning of a level or during the beginning of a content segment are not allowed and full-screen video interstitial ads that appear before an app's loading screen (splash screen) are not allowed," Google said in its developer policy update.
Such ads are unexpected for users, as they expect to begin a game or engage in content instead.
Full screen ads of all formats that are not "closeable after 15 seconds are not allowed", said Google.
"Opt-in full screen interstitials or full screen interstitials that do not interrupt users in their actions (for example, after the score screen in a game app) may persist more than 15 seconds," said Google.
This policy does not apply to rewarded ads, monetisation and advertising that does not interfere with normal app use or game play.
Effective from November 1, all
"Apps must not facilitate or create workarounds to bypass the Flag_Secure settings in other apps," the company said.
Flag_Secure is a display flag declared in an app's code to indicate that its user interface (UI) contains sensitive data intended to be limited to a secure surface while using the app.
AdvertisementGoogle will not allow apps that mislead users by impersonating someone else (another developer, company, entity) or another app from August 31.
"Don't imply that your app is related to or authorised by someone that it isn't. Be careful not to use app icons, descriptions, titles, or in-app elements that could mislead users about your app's relationship to someone else or another app," said Google.
Effective from September 30, if developers sell subscriptions in apps, they must ensure that the apps clearly disclose how a user can manage or cancel their subscription.
"You must also include in your app access to an easy-to-use, online method to cancel the subscription," the company said.
SEE ALSO :
Top gainers Tata Steel & Bajaj Finserv rallies over 15% each this week
Becoming a smart cloud investor: Managing hidden egress costs
Popular on BI
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Serum Institute of India, BYJU’S, Ola, OYO among top 10 valuable unlisted companies
- Top 10 companies in India with the highest revenue in 2022, according to Hurun
- Special winter diet at UP zoos: Kheer with jaggery for bears, chimpanzees and ostriches on boiled eggs
- ATF price slashed by 2.3 pc to Rs 1.17 lakh per kilolitre