The secret factors that influence your TikTok algorithm and 'For You' page were just revealed. The app is tracking how long you watch or hover over videos.
- TikTok's secret
algorithmdetermines which videos populate a user's "For You" page.
- The app is tracking your watch time, even if you don't like or share the videos, WSJ reported.
- This can uncover secret interests or desires users never directly share with the app.
TikTok has been downloaded three billion times around the globe, a critical milestone only Facebook apps have previously achieved.
The video-sharing app's most popular feature is the For You feed, advertised as an "endless stream of short videos that feel personalized just for you." In a company blog post from last year, TikTok said the three main factors fueling its recommendation system are user interactions, video information, and device and account settings.
Repost ##1 this deserves WAY more attention♬ original sound - SilverDollar
"A strong indicator of interest, such as whether a user finishes watching a longer video from beginning to end, would receive greater weight than a weak indicator, such as whether the video's viewer and creator are both in the same country," TikTok wrote.
Specific details of the recommendation algorithm are closely guarded by TikTok's parent company
Guillaume Chaslot, founder of Algotransparency, an organization whose mission is to provide transparency on YouTube algorithms, told the Journal that it's important to differentiate content users are likely to watch more of, from videos they actually enjoy.
"What we see on TikTok is a bit the same that we saw on YouTube... the algorithm is detecting that this depressing content is useful to create engagement and pushes depressing content," Chaslot said. "So the algorithm is pushing people towards more and more extreme content, so it can push them toward more and more watch time."
If users come across content they do not like, TikTok suggests marking the video as "not interested." TikTok did not respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- IRCTC, IndiaMART, Cummins India and others have been under pressure in the last 5 days but still worth buying
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know