TikTok plans to ring as ByteDance enters smartphone race
- ByteDance, TikTok’s parent company, is throwing its gauntlet into smartphone arena.
- Company’s phone offering plans to include pre-installed apps.
- China to be target market for the company’s hardware offering, which means a US or India launch is unlikely.
Talking to Forbes, a ByteDance spokesperson said that the company was following up on “plans that were in place before ByteDance began working with Smartisan, the focus is on meeting the needs of Smartisan's existing customer base in China."
Following the runaway success of TikTok, ByteDance is now the world’s most valuable startup, dethroning Uber in the process. On its own, TikTok is bigger than Twitter and Snapchat with more monthly installs than Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
ByteDance acquired patents from Smartisan - a niche Chinese smartphone company - earlier this year in a deal that saw some employees also transfer to the Beijing-based ByteDance in what it called a “normal flow of talent”.
The acquired entity, Smartisan is known for its over-the-top media events where people pay to see its flamboyant CEO Luo Yonghao’s sales pitch and watch musical performances from some of China’s top music artists.
TikTok launched in China in 2016 and saw as many as 300 million monthly active users by 2018 before moving to international markets and replicating that success to the tune of more than 500 million active users worldwide.
Despite a strong user base in the US with 14.3 million unique visitors, the new smartphone will not launch in the US and will exclusively be sold in the Chinese market, which means an India launch is also unlikely.
As of now, the company will only focus on its Chinese user base for now and there are no plans to compete with the likes of Samsung or Apple.
TikTok’s company is now looking to make smartphones — a move Facebook and Snap tried and failed
TikTok and Helo are accused of unlawful activities in India triggering talks of a possible ban
A fresh wave of bad news haunts TikTok
Popular on BI
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder
- Climate change threatening tea sector globally: ITA
- Over 23,000 techies lose jobs in nearly 82 Indian startups to date
- Scientists create car parts from lemons, corn, almonds and pomegranates that are better than traditional parts
- Cabinet clears dearness allowance hike by 4%