Twitter is ‘sorry’ that it shared your data and tracked you without permission for over a year
- Twitter admitted that it has been tracking users and collecting user data to share with advertisers even though some users opted out.
- Twitter admitted its mistake and apologised in a blog post today.
data breachstarted in May 2018 and went on until August 5 this year.
AdvertisementEven if you have gone to the trouble of telling Twitter not to share your data with advertisers, it’s possible that it was shared anyway.
The social networking giant disclosed that user’s setting choices ‘may not have worked as intended’ in a blog post today. And the issue has been leaking data since May 2018 and was only fixed on August 5.
In return, all Twitter has to offer is an apology. “You trust us to follow your choices and we failed here. We’re sorry this happened, and are taking steps to make sure we don’t make a mistake like this again,” stated Twitter.
Twitter didn’t disclose when exactly they became aware of the issue or how many accounts have been affected by the data breach but did say they were conducting an investigation into the extent of the problem.
There are two parts to the data breach. One is tracking which ads actually converted users into buyers and sharing that data with Twitter’s business partners.
The second issue, which has been ongoing since September 2018, allowed Twitter to deliver targeted ads.
Since the data breach has been in play since May 2018, Twitter is obligated to report it as per GDPR guidelines.
The repercussions of this data breach for Twitter will depend on how long the social networking giant was aware of the issue. The data protection laws under the European GDPR will kick in accordingly.
Twitter may not share usernames or Twitter handles but it does share user’s mobile device identifier which the GDPR categorizes as personal data that could help Twitter and its business partners profile users..
The issue of targeted ads is also serious since Twitter uses ‘inferences’ like tracking user devices, IP addresses, and social plug-ins to figure out what they might like.
To rectify the situation, Twitter offers an apology and tells users that all they can really do is check their settings.
Twitter pops after beating sales estimates, adding the most new users in 2 years
Twitter suspended a conspiracy theory account after Trump retweeted it
Twitter says Trump's racist tweets aren't a violation of its new policies
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Personal trainer Kelsey Wells' protein-packed go-to smoothie is a 'meal in a cup' that tastes like cookie batter
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know