Why Facebook could win the live streaming battle
This story was originally sent to thousands of professionals just like you in this morning's Digital Media INSIDER daily newsletter. Don't be left in the dark while your competition gets ahead each morning. Learn about our two week risk-free trial now »
Facebook's new live streaming feature has several major advantages over the current crop of live streaming apps.
- Facebook's massive mobile user base could bring live streaming to the mainstream. The social network already reaches more than 1.3 billion mobile users globally. Meanwhile, fledgling competitors Periscope and Meerkat have only gained popularity among a much smaller group of tech-savvy users.
- The social network could combine the new live streaming feature with its recently launched "Place Tips" feature. Place Tips allows users to follow a feed of posts, images, and videos based on live events, similar to Snapchat Stories. Facebook could easily integrate live video streams into this feed.
- Facebook's targeted ads could help publishers monetize their live content. Unlike Snapchat and Meerkat, Facebook allows marketers to buy targeted ads. These ads could help publishers turn live events broadcast through the new feature into a meaningful revenue stream, which in turn could encourage more publishers to stream content through Facebook.
Finding this article interesting? Thousands of professionals just like you had it in their inbox first. Stay ahead of the curve and gain a comprehensive understanding of the latest news & trends, start your day with the Digital Media INSIDER. Get two weeks risk-freeHere are other stories you need to know from today's Digital Media INSIDER:
- Digital subscribers pay for multiple services
- Early success with Twitter 'Buy' buttons
- Mobile continues to dominate Facebook user, ad growth
Don't miss another day of breaking developments! Stay ahead of the curve and gain insight into the latest news & trends. Join thousands of other professionals who start the day with Digital Media INSIDER. Try any of our INSIDER newsletters for two weeks »
- Delhi records 13,00 new COVID-19 cases
- Heavy to very heavy rainfall likely in parts of Maharashtra: IMD
- Goa to get second COVID-19 facility in Ponda, tweets CM Sawant
- Here’s a model stock portfolio for the ‘moderate’ risk-taker
- IndusInd bank acquires more than 7% stake in both Eveready and Mc Leod Russel