WhatsApp under threat — multiple vulnerabilities in older versions of the app and a new ‘Pink’ malware on the prowl
- India’s cybersecurity
watchdog, CERT-In, has warned users about the ‘high’ number of vulnerabilities to WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business’ older versions.
- Meanwhile, malware disguised as an offer to turn WhatsApp’s traditional green into pink or gold is also making the rounds in group chats.
- Users are recommended to keep their WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business mobile apps up to date and report to the company if they come across any suspicious links.
“Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow the attacker to execute arbitrary code or access sensitive information on a target system,” said the note.
However, this is only an issue for users still running an old version of WhatsApp or WhatsApp Business. If your app is up to date, then your information should be safe.
Beware of @WhatsApp Pink!! A Virus is being spread in #WhatsApp groups with an APK download link. Don't click any l… https://t.co/HTZY8fYhrz— Rajshekhar Rajaharia (@rajaharia) 1618681509000
WhatsApp is meant to be green
Cybersecurity experts claim that clicking on the link offering to turn WhatsApp into a different colour may lead to users losing access to their accounts altogether. According to PTI, several
"Such malicious apps can be used to compromise your phone and steal personal data like photos, SMS, contacts, etc. Keyboard-based malware can be used to track everything you type. It can be used to capture and steal banking passwords.”
WhatsApp recommends keeping away from unverified links. "Anyone can get an unusual, uncharacteristic, or suspicious message on any service, including email, and anytime that happens we strongly encourage everyone to use caution before responding or engaging,” the company said in a statement.
It also recommends that people use the tools that are provided within the app to send the company a report, report a contact, or block contact.
Macrotech Developers IPO lists at 10% discount — analysts recommend that shareholders should wait it out
Razorpay raises $160 million at $3 billion valuation, plans for more acquisitions
HDFC Bank, Macrotech Developers, Adani Ports and other stocks to watch out for on April 19
- SEBI asks PNB Housing to halt ₹4,000 crore preferential issue of shares
- Word Music Day 2021: Importance, history, memorable quotes and how to celebrate it during a pandemic
- International Yoga Day — this year’s theme is ‘Yoga for well-being’
- International Yoga Day 2021 — a few quotes to remember and share
- India witnesses decline in daily COVID-19 cases with 58,419 fresh cases, lowest in last 81 days