The founder of Metro Bank thinks app-only banks are 'all hype'
Vernon Hill told Business Insider in an interview: "That's all hype. There has never been an online-only bank that has succeeded in America or Britain. Maybe there's one coming, but we haven't seen one yet."Look at it this way, we passed 6 years, we just started making money, and our market cap is £2.6 billion. We've created a total growth machine. These people are selling you 'solutions', not banking."
Investors and entrepreneurs believe that they can tap into a generation shift to mobile and a more long-term shift in the entire population towards online services.But Hill says: "I agree [there's a shift to mobile] but you have to remember, what's our number one job in life? To acquire new customers. We've got to get you to switch banks. The store is the way we do that and the store is the public face.
"No mobile-only bank can deliver anything I can't deliver in the next minute and a half. What they're offering you is a tool, not a solution. The customer wants the best of every channel and my job is to deliver them the best of every channel."
Metro Bank has partnered with peer-to-peer lending platform Zopa to offer loans and recently announced a project with Deloitte and startup SETL to develop a contactless card that uses blockchain technology. Hill says the bank is open to more partnerships like these to extend its digital capabilities.
"We have a big advantage in banking in Britain," he says. "British banks have IT systems that are one step above a quill. We have the only modern IT bank system in Britain. Whatever new fintech idea comes along, it's relatively easy for us to get it up and running."
- Credit Card Industry and Market
- Mobile Payment Technologies
- Mobile Payments Industry
- Mobile Payment Market, Trends and Adoption
- Credit Card Processing Industry
- List of Credit Card Processing Companies
- List of Credit Card Processing Networks
- List of Payment Gateway Providers
- M-Commerce: Mobile Shopping Trends
- E-Commerce Payment Technologies and Trends
- Chris Gayle appears four times in the top 10 list of most sixes hit in an IPL match
- Up-close and not so personal with Munnar’s pit vipers, gliding frogs and more
- Haryana government extends lockdown in the state till May 24
- UK's Cairn Energy identifies $70 billion Indian assets for seizing to recover amount due from government
- States to receive nearly 51 lakh COVID-19 vaccine doses in next three days, says Union Health Ministry