WhatsApp rips off another Snapchat feature — this time Disappearing Mode
- After borrowing statuses and disappearing messages from Snapchat,
Snapchatis known for.
- Once enabled, this will make WhatsApp a complete replacement for Snapchat.
- Apart from this, WhatsApp is also working on adding another highly requested feature – multi-device support.
AdvertisementWhatsApp is gearing up to add another Snapchat-like feature after adding statuses and disappearing messages. Only, this time around, this feature will allow you to replace Snapchat completely.
In a WhatsApp group chat with WABetaInfo, a website that tracks developments in the app, WhatsApp chief Will Cathcart and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed several features coming soon to the messaging service.
Stripping away Snapchat’s features, one after the other
WhatsApp’s Disappearing Mode will turn it into a Snapchat replacement, allowing you to send disappearing messages to all your contacts, instead of turning it on for individual chats.
Complimentary Tech Event
Transform talent with learning that works
Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation.Know More
Essentially, this will turn WhatsApp into an ephemeral app like Snapchat. All individual and group chats will have disappearing messages turned on by default once you enable Disappearing Mode. Instagram and Facebook Messenger already have this feature, called Vanish Mode.
Zuckerberg also confirmed another feature called ‘View Once’. When turned on, this will allow users to send photos and videos to their contacts. Once the media is viewed by the recipient, the content will disappear.
Multi-device support “coming in a month or two”
Multi-device support has been one of the most requested WhatsApp features. To some extent, the WhatsApp Web feature solves the problem for those who want to use the app on multiple devices, but it’s still not a truly multi-device solution.
WhatsApp is now finally getting true multi-device support. Both Cathcart and Zuckerberg confirmed that it’s coming in a month or two to users of WhatsApp beta.
Once this feature is available, you will be able to stay logged in to multiple devices, perhaps like Telegram. But the exact implementation remains to be seen.
AdvertisementCathcart confirmed iPad support, in addition to support for up to 4 devices simultaneously.
Other WhatsApp features in the works
WhatsApp has added a few other features or is working on them.
For instance, some users on WhatsApp beta on Android should start seeing a sticker shortcut next to the smiley button.
Other features in the works include voice and video calls on the web, JioMart integration and more.
WhatsApp to soon introduce voice and video calls for Web, multi-device support, JioMart integration and more
How to move WhatsApp group to Signal app
COVID-19 vaccine centres – Use WhatsApp to find your nearest one
Popular on BI
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- The crowd at the unveiling of Apple's Vision Pro headset let out a collective groan when they found out how wildly expensive it was
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar
- BMW India unveils all-new sports car M2 at ₹98 lakh
- Zomato takes down ad depicting 'Lagaan' character Kachra as recycled waste items
- After Twitterati scream foul about pesky calls, RBI says 'will look into it'
- Hiring in India slowed down by 7% in May: Foundit report