WhatsApp rips off another Snapchat feature — this time Disappearing Mode
- After borrowing statuses and disappearing messages from Snapchat,
Snapchatis known for.
- Once enabled, this will make WhatsApp a complete replacement for Snapchat.
- Apart from this, WhatsApp is also working on adding another highly requested feature – multi-device support.
In a WhatsApp group chat with WABetaInfo, a website that tracks developments in the app, WhatsApp chief Will Cathcart and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed several features coming soon to the messaging service.
Stripping away Snapchat’s features, one after the other
AdvertisementWhatsApp’s Disappearing Mode will turn it into a Snapchat replacement, allowing you to send disappearing messages to all your contacts, instead of turning it on for individual chats.
Essentially, this will turn WhatsApp into an ephemeral app like Snapchat. All individual and group chats will have disappearing messages turned on by default once you enable Disappearing Mode. Instagram and Facebook Messenger already have this feature, called Vanish Mode.
Zuckerberg also confirmed another feature called ‘View Once’. When turned on, this will allow users to send photos and videos to their contacts. Once the media is viewed by the recipient, the content will disappear.
Multi-device support “coming in a month or two”
Multi-device support has been one of the most requested WhatsApp features. To some extent, the WhatsApp Web feature solves the problem for those who want to use the app on multiple devices, but it’s still not a truly multi-device solution.
WhatsApp is now finally getting true multi-device support. Both Cathcart and Zuckerberg confirmed that it’s coming in a month or two to users of WhatsApp beta.
AdvertisementOnce this feature is available, you will be able to stay logged in to multiple devices, perhaps like Telegram. But the exact implementation remains to be seen.
Cathcart confirmed iPad support, in addition to support for up to 4 devices simultaneously.
Other WhatsApp features in the works
AdvertisementWhatsApp has added a few other features or is working on them.
For instance, some users on WhatsApp beta on Android should start seeing a sticker shortcut next to the smiley button.
Other features in the works include voice and video calls on the web, JioMart integration and more.
WhatsApp to soon introduce voice and video calls for Web, multi-device support, JioMart integration and more
How to move WhatsApp group to Signal app
COVID-19 vaccine centres – Use WhatsApp to find your nearest one
Popular on BI
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Google to open its new office in Pune this year, will hire cloud technology experts
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- DRDO is inviting applications to fill up 150 apprenticeship posts with a monthly stipend of ₹9,000
- Google will soon block targeted ads for people below 18 years
- India’s 73rd Republic Day – Here are some inspirational quotes to remember
- Adani Wilmar is a good FMCG bet to invest at a reasonable IPO price, say analysts
- Sensex tanks over 900 points, Nifty slips below 17,000 — Asian Paints, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, L&T, Reliance Industries and HDFC Bank top losers