JioPhone Next smartphone specifications revealed ahead of release
JioPhoneNext is a low-cost 4G smartphone jointly developed by Reliance Jio and Google.
- It will be available to purchase from September 10 onwards.
- JioPhone Next is expected to come with a 13-megapixel rear camera, an HD display and Android 11 (Go edition).
AdvertisementReliance Jio is scheduled to launch the ‘JioPhone Next’ smartphone on September 10. It’s a low-cost smartphone jointly developed by Jio and Google. At the RIL AGM in June this year, Jio announced the JioPhone Next revealing some of its design and some of its key features. It however, did not detail the specifications of the JioPhone Next.
The specifications of the JioPhone Next have now been revealed by XDA Developers’ Mishaal Rahman. The smartphone will feature a 13-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel front camera. We already know that the JioPhone Next will come with optimisations for low-light photography and it will also have an HDR mode. The JioPhone Next will also have India-specific Snapchat lenses integrated into the phone’s camera.
The JioPhone Next will feature an HD (720p) display although the screen size isn’t known yet. It will be powered by the Qualcomm 215 Mobile Platform. On the software front, the JioPhone Next will run Android 11 (Go Edition) out-of-the-box. More features on the JioPhone Next include dual SIM support, dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2. The smartphone will also come with Android Go apps pre-installed such as Camera Go. Rahman also spotted a “DuoGo” app on the JioPhone Next but it seems different from the Duo Go app.
Customisations for Indian users
As for what’s confirmed for the JioPhone Next, it will be highly customised for Indian users. Google features such as Read Aloud and Translate Now will be integrated in the OS. These features will work with any text on the phone screen in addition to web pages, apps, messages and photos as well. Google Assistant will also be optimised for Jio-related queries like playing music on JioSaavn or checking your balance on My Jio. The smartphone will also receive regular security updates and Android releases.
Reliance announces JioPhone Next smartphone in partnership with Google – available from September 10
Jio and Google come together for 5G, leveraging Google’s cloud expertise and Jio’s networking prowess
Popular on BI
- Flights could get bumpier as climate change makes air turbulence much more frequent
- A Swiggy user from Hyderabad spends Rs 6 lakh ordering idlis in a year
- Repo rate hike will slow down real estate, reverse post-Covid trends, says industry body to RBI
- Small stocks lag behind in FY23; take bigger hit than bluechip firms
- Tamil Nadu says 'nahi to dahi' over Hindi name on curd packets