What does the missing SIM card slot on iPhone 14 mean for users
Appleditched the ditched the physical SIMcard slot in favor of the eSIM in the iPhone 14series in select markets.
- Using eSIM, users can use multiple cellular plans on a single device.
- In the US, the iPhone 14 series supports eSIM from six carriers.
AdvertisementApple announced the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro during its Far Out event yesterday, and it came with some big news for customers in the United States.
Further, Apple’s website has also confirmed that iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max will come with dual eSIM support, allowing users to use multiple cellular plans on a single device.
During Apple’s Far Out event, the company said the eSIM requirement will prevent anyone from removing the SIM card if the device gets stolen or lost. Also, switching between cellular plans will become easy.
What is an eSIM?
An eSIM is a digital SIM that allows users to activate a cellular plan without having to use a physical SIM. The eSIM availability is rapidly expanding but the technology is still not available in all countries, which explains why iPhone 14 models will remain available with a SIM card tray outside of the US.
The removal of the headphone jack by Apple was initially mocked in 2017, but now, most high-end smartphones don’t include it. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see if the same ends up happening with eSIMs.
Apple’s support page says the company supports eSIM from six carriers in the US – AT&T, T-Mobile, Truphone, Ubigi, Verizon Wireless, and Visible. Absent are other carriers such as Google Fi, Consumer Cellular, and Mint Mobile.
According to research firm Counterpoint, the eSIM technology could see faster adoption once Apple uses it in Phones. It happened similarly with dual cameras, portrait cameras, display notch and Face ID. The same phenomenon could likely repeat with eSIM, the firm said.
iPhone 14 will let you send emergency SOS via satellite but it won’t work in India
Opinion: Apple just made an outdated feature a USP on iPhone 14 Pro
Popular on BI
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Bill Gates says political polarization 'may bring it all to an end' and could even lead to a civil war
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride
- RBI cuts FY23 GDP growth forecast to 7% as developed world heads into recession
- Iraq's forex reserves hit record high as oil prices soar
- RBI does not have fixed dollar:rupee exchange rate: Shaktikanta Das
- Here is how much your EMI will go up after the recent repo rate hike
- Tata Tigor EV vs Tiago EV - which one should you buy?